Dead Simple Photo Blog by Email :: AutoBlogger
Goal: Live up to my photoblog's name, Proudestfather, by updating it with adorable pictures on a regular basis.
Plan: Whip up a quick perl script which will take emails from an email account, parse, create thumbnails, and generate static HTML.
Results: Download Tarball — Anonymous SVN (svn co svn://inarow.net/trunk/autoblogger) — Proudest Father
With this in mind, I decided to implement this project in perl, for several reasons:
- Familiarity with several CPAN modules for handling email
- A desire to dig further into Template-Toolkit, after playing around with catalyst.
- An expectation that most of the project would be manipulating strings.
With this in mind, I set out to complete this project in an evening…
5:30 Start 5:35 README and templates/index.tpl created 6:00 AutoBlogger::Post.pm created This involved learning some basics about perl objects. Experimented with Class::Std and h2xs to make a Module Went with a very simple class
6:10 Made autoblogger.pl and it takes arguments Found GetOpt::Long and applied it Verifies that pop credentials are passed Verifies that you give it a publish and storage directory that exist
6:15 Mail::POP3Client chosen and installed Net::Pop3 doesn't seem to do SSL
7:10 Pop Harness in place, need SSL Done putzing with IO::Socket::SSL, took a while to make CPAN install it properly Throw in a debug_tell() sub that takes a message and optional importance
8:15 Start framework for parsing mails Add --rebuild and --nopop to support testing Man, getopts makes that easy
8:50 Ok, now I have lots of command line args, write a usage() Currently, the script: logs in to pop downloads emails parses them out to find date, text and image
Time to refactor. Goals: Raw MIME message archived Ability to just rebuild index, a single month, or all Don't recreate images when rebuilding, unless size changes Plan: Break storage/ into months (storage/200712/) Put messages in their own folder storage/YYYYmm/dd_hhmmss/ raw.txt MIME::Parser files
9:50 Ok, that's rewritten and tested. Onto writing out an index.
10:40 Rewrote it so that the AutoBlogger::Post class takes the storage directory for the email in the constructor, and builds the object around this. Now to have it ensure that the thumbnails are there.
Snack time. Hmm, pretzels. Housework, exciting!
12:15 Start and finish thumbnailing, make the size optional. This goes quickly with GD. File::Copy::Recursive is needed to move the MIME::Parser files into their target storage directory (mainly because I happen to have /home and my docroot on different partitions)
12:40 Tweaks, debuging... w00t! index.html is there.
Ok, time for some Kingdom of Loathing turns. (http://www.kingdomofloathing.com/, give it a try)
1:40 Refactor out the index into a do_file 2:00 Apply that to the archives 2:50 Test, tweak template, site up with 2 downloaded posts, index and archive!
At this point, the project is working and ready for a beta release! Quite an evening, but good results. I'm sure I'll push out updates. I want to support passing in a date in the body of the message, for importing older posts. I did take the time to create some usage details.
autoblogger.pl [args] path-to-storage path-to-published-site -v [--verbose] Verbose mode -h [--host=]* Pop Host -u [--user=]* Pop User -p [--pass=]* Pop Password -s [--ssl] Use SSL -n [--nopop] Don't get newmessages -r [--rebuild=] Rebuild output index,200708 or index or 200708 or all -i [--indexsize=] How many posts on the index -e [--extension=] Extension for output html (default html) [--tmp=] tmp directory (defaults to /tmp [--thumbsize=] thumbnail size (defaults to 150x150) [--fullsize=] full image size (defaults to 800x800) * required
Back to Blog Home »